Sponsor your relative

Sponsor your relative

Sponsor Your Relative

If your relative becomes a Permanent Resident of Canada, they are allowed to stay, study as well as work in Canada. If you are above 18 years of age, you can sponsor some of your relatives to come and stay in Canada, provided your relative must be:

  • A citizen of Canada
  • An Indian person registered in Canada under the Canadian Indian Act
  • A Canadian Permanent Resident

Sponsoring Relatives to Canada is now possible by applying under the Family Sponsorship Canada Program as it works to reunite the families by allowing the adult permanent residents or the citizens to sponsor their relatives for migrating to Canada. Eligibility criteria for a person seeking sponsorship are as follows:

  • Must be a spouse, or a common-law partner or a conjugal partner.
  • Must be a dependent child.
  • Must be a parent.
  • Must be a grandparent.
  • Must be a sibling, niece, nephew, or a grandchild who is below 18 years of age, whose parents are deceased and who is unmarried.

Who Can Sponsor The Relative?

At the time of sponsoring your relative to become a Canadian Permanent Resident, you must make sure that:

  • You meet the required income guidelines
  • You give in writing to provide full financial support to the relative:
  • From the very first day, they get a permanent residency status
  • Till 20 years (depends on the relative’s age and also your relationship with the relative)

Who Can’t Sponsor The Relative?

Any adult over 18 years of age, who is a Canadian Permanent Resident can become a Sponsor. A sponsor is required to be a Canadian resident.

An individual might not be able to sponsor if:

  • They have committed a crime and are serving their term in prison.
  • They are subjected to have a removal order.
  • They are in the bankruptcy process.
  • The government is providing them with any social assistance except for disability.
  • They have been proven guilty of any violent activity, criminal offence, sexual offence or domestic violence.
  • They were unable to pay their child’s support payments.

How to apply?

Here is how you can apply for the process of Sponsoring Relatives to Canada:

1. Receive an application package:

If your application gets accepted, you will be sent an invite to apply for this sponsorship program. Your Invite contains updated forms and the latest instructions guide. Hence, never fill out your application unless you are invited to apply. This needs to be followed to avoid filling out the outdated forms or using the old instruction guide from last year.

The package includes:

  • List of documents for you as well as an individual you want to sponsor
  • Forms that you and your sponsored individual needs to fill out
  • An instruction booklet to assist you in filling the forms correctly
2. Online payment of your application fees:

Usually, the fee structure includes:

  • The processing fees including you and your sponsored individual as well as their dependents
  • The Right of Permanent Residence Fee
  • The Biometrics fee
3. Fill Out Some Online Form
  • Police verification certificate
  • Medical examination
  • Financial Proof

Biometrics fee

Usually, the Biometrics fee needs to be paid at the time of your application submission. Or else, it may get delayed. The Biometrics fee includes the cost of collecting your fingerprints as well as a digital photo.

The instruction guide will help you in understanding the fee structure as well as which fees and how much fees apply to you.

  • Your correct information from the documents
  • Your National Occupational Classification (NOC) job title as well as code
3. Submit your application:

You are required to submit your application within 60 days. The details about the deadlines will be mentioned in your invitation.

You can apply for a Permanent Residency only after receiving an invite from the Canadian Immigration department.