Study in Canada as a minor child

Study in Canada as a minor child

Who is a minor child?

Minor children are defined as those who are under the age of majority, as set out of by each province or territory at the time of their arrival in Canada.

Age of Majority

Province or Territory Age of Majority
Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, PEI, Quebec, Saskatchewan 18 years
British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, northwest territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon 19 years

Minor child before entering CANADA

The parent or legal Guardians must prove the minor child will have the care and support they need during their stay and study in Canada. Minor children under the age of 17 must either, come with their parent or legal guardian or have a custodian in Canada.

Minor children who want to study for six months or more must apply for a study permit. This includes minor children who come with parents of holding study or work permit but they don’t need to provide a letter of acceptance from a school at the time of the application.

Type of Application

Minor child outside of CANADA

A minor child can go to school without a study permit if:
one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
Neither parent is physically in Canada.

Minor child inside of CANADA

Minor children who are already in Canada may study without a study permit if they:

  • Are in kindergarten, no matter what their parents’ status is in Canada
  • want to go to pre-school, primary or secondary school and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada
  • Are refugees or refugee claimants
  • Have parents who are refugees or refugee claimants
  • Came to Canada as a visitor for a course or program of studies of six months or less
  • Will study in a course or program of six months or less
  • Are in Canada by themselves

Minors who don’t have a study permit need a valid visitor status during their stay in Canada