Canada Federal Skilled Trades Class
The Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC) allows individuals with job offers or appropriate certification to
work in certain occupations to obtain Canadian permanent residence in any Canadian province or territory
other than Quebec.
In order to qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, Federal Skilled Trades
- Have offers of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one-year duration OR
a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body;
- Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization,
demonstrating that the applicant meets the minimum threshold set by the Minister — Canadian
Level Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, CLB 4 for reading and writing;
- Have obtained 24 months of qualified work experience in the skilled trade in the last five years;
- Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and that they have performed the essential duties
of the occupation.
Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Class fall into the following general
categories of the NOC:
- Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades,
- Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades,
- Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related
- Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control
- Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks, and
- Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.